Middle age is that time of life when we hear two voices calling us. One saying, “Why not?” And the other, “Why bother?”– Sydney J. Harris, American journalist (1917-1986)
What are you telling yourself about this time in your life? Choose any area–your health and well-being, your environment, your lifestyle and livelihood, your relationship with your significant other, or the relationship with your friends and extended family, your personal and spiritual growth, your finances and sense of security, or your recreation and check in with yourself. Are you seeing this area of your life, at this stage, as full of possibility or are you seeing it as a sense of resignation and dis-empowerment? If you feel dis-empowered, answer these five questions:
- What about this area makes you feel so resigned? Make a list of all the reasons you feel closed and/or hopeless.
- Make a list of all the things that WORK and are GOOD about this area. (If your initial response is nothing, look deeper. Even in the midst of negativity, pain and trauma, there is usually something that can be viewed as positive–if not now, then someday.)
- Make a list of all the things you can do to cultivate and generate more of the things that do work and are good.
- Make a plan to implement the things from #4 for the next 90 days. Really ‘turn up the volume’ on the actions you can take to increase the positive aspects of this area of your life.
- At the end of 90 days of conscious effort, write down what you notice. If you do this with mindful intent, you will feel empowered and more hopeful. Opportunities that you didn’t see before will reveal themselves. Trust me.
If you do this, please contact me and let me know what you discovered. I would love to hear from you!